HomeAboutusEditorial BoardCurrent issuearchivesSearch articlesInstructions for authorsSubscription detailsAdvertise

  Login  | Users online: 5382

   Ahead of print articles    Bookmark this page Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font size Increase font size  

ORIGINAL ARTICLE Table of Contents   
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 46  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 610-613
Pattern of skin diseases and occupational dermatoses among paddy field workers in kashmir valley: A cross-sectional study from North India

1 Department of Dermatology, STDs and Leprosy, Government Medical College, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India
2 Department of Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India

Correspondence Address:
Prof. Iffat Hassan
Room No. 1, Professor Lane, SMHS Hospital, Karan Nagar, Srinagar - 190 010, Jammu and Kashmir
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None

DOI: 10.4103/ijcm.IJCM_360_20

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Paddy farming is one of the main occupations in Kashmir valley. The workers associated with paddy are exposed to variety of irritants such as manures, fertilizers, and pesticides, besides getting exposed to intense sunlight for long hours due to the nature of their work. All these factors can potentially either trigger skin diseases or can worsen them. Aim: The aim of this study was to find out the prevalence and pattern of various skin disorders among paddy field workers in Kashmir valley. Materials and Methods: This was a cross-sectional descriptive study in which 600 workers engaged in paddy farming in different areas of Kashmir valley were screened. The diagnosis was made on clinical grounds and wherever deemed necessary, relevant investigations were carried out to establish the nature of the disease. Results: A total of 600 workers were evaluated for the presence of skin disorders. Two hundred thirty workers (38.3%) were found to have skin lesions, while the rest, i.e. 370 (61.7%) were free from any skin problem. Out of the total skin lesions, infectious ones were seen in 40.4%, while non-infectious accounted for 59.6% cases. The main non-infectious disorders included melasma, followed by hand and foot eczemas, hyperkeratosis of palms and soles and callosities/cuts, while among the infectious group the major chunk was formed by bacterial infections followed by fungal, viral, and parasitic. Pitted keratolysis and intertrigo were the most common bacterial and fungal infections respectively. Conclusion: A large number of skin diseases were seen in paddy field workers, with some diseases showing an occupational nature.

Print this article  Email this article

  Similar in PUBMED
    Search Pubmed for
    Search in Google Scholar for
  Related articles
   Citation Manager
  Access Statistics
   Reader Comments
   Email Alert *
   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)

 Article Access Statistics
    PDF Downloaded286    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal


  Sitemap | What's New | Copyright and Disclaimer | Privacy Notice
  2007 - Indian Journal of Community Medicine | Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow
  Online since 15th September, 2007